Jack La Lanne Quotes

Although for many years I worked out at four in the morning and then later I started at five. Now my workout begins around 5:30 or 6:00 am. But I never think of age.
Jack LaLanne

By exercise. I'll tell you one thing, you don't always have to be on the go. I sit around a lot, I read a lot, and I do watch television. But I also work out for two hours every day of my life, even when I'm on the road.
Jack LaLanne

Do it vigorously, like somebody is chasing you. You've got to do it hard. Otherwise, if you just take it easy and do it longer, you are spending all that time when you don't need it. Use that extra time with your weights instead.
Jack LaLanne

Do you know how many calories are in butter and cheese and ice cream? Would you get your dog up in the morning for a cup of coffee and a donut?
Jack LaLanne

Do you think that man could ever make a machine that the only way you could hurt it is don't use it? Could man make a machine that in every 90 days practically every cell changes? Think about this.
Jack LaLanne

Focus on your problem zones, your strength, your energy, your flexibility and all the rest. Maybe your chest is flabby or your hips or waist need toning. Also, you should change your program every thirty days. That's the key.
Jack LaLanne

For the person that is really progressing and they read up a lot and they have a lot of energy and discipline, they don't need a trainer. It depends on the individual. I don't need a trainer - I am my own trainer.
Jack LaLanne

George Burns was more athletic than you think he was. And he was a very social man - he loved people, he enjoyed life. He worked at living. Old George was a social lion, he got around and did things. That's the key right there. It starts with your brain.
Jack LaLanne

Getting out of shape is like a thief in the night that sneaks up on you. I always tell people that it is never too late. I tell them about the folks in their 90's that doubled their strength and endurance.
Jack LaLanne

I am proud to say I was just voted in to the Hollywood Walk of Fame. This year I get my star.
Jack LaLanne

I do it as a therapy. I do it as something to keep me alive. We all need a little discipline. Exercise is my discipline.
Jack LaLanne

I drink 6 or seven glasses of water a day. I also drink vegetable juice. And I have at least 5 or 6 pieces of fresh fruit everyday and 10 raw vegetables.
Jack LaLanne

I have friends of mine that are in their 80's and now they are in wheelchairs or they're getting Alzheimer's. Who wants that? It's terrible.
Jack LaLanne

I have spoken to a whole group of millionaires, head executives at Microsoft. Boy did I chew those guys out.
Jack LaLanne

I never drink wine unless I am eating though. I take it with my meal.
Jack LaLanne

I only eat fish - no chicken, no turkey, just fish. I get all my protein from fish and egg whites.
Jack LaLanne

I think about this moment and what I am going to do.
Jack LaLanne

I use no milk of any kind. Anything that comes from a cow I don't eat.
Jack LaLanne

I want to be able to do things; I want to look good; I don't want to be a drudge on my wife and my kids. And I want to get my message out to the people. I might live forever or it may seem like that.
Jack LaLanne

I was a strict vegetarian. Then I decided to enter a Mr. America contest and in those days they thought that in order to build muscle you had to have meat. So I ate meat for a while.
Jack LaLanne

I'd rather see you drink a glass of wine than a glass of milk. So many people drink Coca-Cola and all these soft drinks with sugar. Some of these drinks have 8 or 9 teaspoons of sugar in them What's the good of living if you can't have the things that give a little enjoyment?
Jack LaLanne

If you are ambitious and you want to do more, then I would do 4 days. Exercise vigorously one day and rest the next.
Jack LaLanne

If you can't use your legs, you can sit in a chair and you can do curls, you can do presses, you can do stretches. There are all kinds of things you can do. Or maybe you can't use your upper body but you can work your legs.
Jack LaLanne

If you get enough vitamins and minerals out of normal food and whole grains, and you get enough proteins and exercise then nature builds up a tolerance to all of these things.
Jack LaLanne

If you had people working for you, employees, and it was very important what condition they were in, boy, you'd make sure you fed them right, you exercised them, gave them everything they needed so they could do things for you, right?
Jack LaLanne

If you haven't exercised for a long time, just start out for a couple of minutes a day. Then work it up a little bit. You'd be surprised at the end of thirty days, how many things you are doing.
Jack LaLanne

If you want to eat more organic that's fine, but I don't go out of the way to get to organic vegetables. The way I eat, I am really high on vegetable juice.
Jack LaLanne

If you've got a big gut and you start doing sit-ups, you are going to get bigger because you build up the muscle. You've got to get rid of that fat! How do you get rid of fat? By changing your diet.
Jack LaLanne

It's a bunch of bull. How do you know what's really organic? Today, there's all these impurities in the water and the air. The water for the fruits and vegetables has junk in it.
Jack LaLanne

Just starting up it would be good to get a trainer for a couple of months. But not everyone can afford it. I know a lot of older people can't manage that.
Jack LaLanne

Look at all the creatures, the snakes, the worms and the birds, and the entire universe and everything that goes on. Don't you think there is a universal power, that there is some Supreme Being that put this all together?
Jack LaLanne

Look at the average American diet: ice cream, butter, cheese, whole milk, all this fat. People don't realize how much of this stuff you get by the end of the day. High blood pressure is from all this high-fat eating.
Jack LaLanne

My oldest son, Danny, was in Beverly Hills going down the street in his brand new car and this guy in a stretch limousine came through a stop sign and hit him broadside. Danny got out of the car and was going to punch the guy out. He looks in the car and who is riding in the limousine? George Burns!
Jack LaLanne

My wife and I eat out practically every night, and I've got every restaurant trained. The Chinese restaurants we go to have brown rice, and other restaurants make sure they have the right soups for us, with no butter or cream.
Jack LaLanne

Now the medical profession is saying something different. Every one of the doctors without exception is saying, "Build muscle."
Jack LaLanne

Probably millions of Americans got up this morning with a cup of coffee, a cigarette and a donut. No wonder they are sick and fouled up.
Jack LaLanne

Remember this: your body is your slave; it works for you.
Jack LaLanne

So many older people, they just sit around all day long and they don't get any exercise. Their muscles atrophy, and they lose their strength, their energy and vitality by inactivity.
Jack LaLanne

So many people will just take five pound weights and do something 10 times. What are they getting out of it? Nothing!
Jack LaLanne

Some people, when they get to 60 years old have no interests anymore, have no friends left. George Burns was busy all the time doing something.
Jack LaLanne

Test after test has been done all over the world to prove this. They have even taken people in their 90's and put them on a weight training program and doubled their strength and endurance. Just think what the younger people at 50, 60, 70 and 80 can do if they can do that with 90 year olds.
Jack LaLanne

That is the beautiful part about weights: even if you are 100 year old, you can lift something. Maybe it's only a half a pound or a pound or two pounds. It will still do something.
Jack LaLanne

The more things you do to help your health, the more you'll be able to do. That is why a lot of people are sick and tired.
Jack LaLanne

The only way you get that fat off is to eat less and exercise more.
Jack LaLanne

Then for say 30 days I'll cut the weight down a bit and do fifteen reps. Then maybe for 30 days I'll add weight and do only 5 or 6 reps, then for another 30 days I'll do everything really slow. Try that sometimes. Like you are doing a prayer.
Jack LaLanne

There are so many health food nuts out there that eat nothing but natural foods but they don't exercise and they look terrible.
Jack LaLanne

They thought that athletes that worked out with my system wouldn't be able to throw a ball because they'd be too muscle bound. Those are the misconceptions I had to go through for about 40 years.
Jack LaLanne

Things really changed after I went on television and got the message out. That's when I starting reaching millions of people. In fact, I just made The Guinness Book of World Records for being on television 34 years non-stop.
Jack LaLanne

Too many people make excuses like I am too old, or I don't have the time, or it costs money. Then when they get sick they go to the doctor and want a shot in the backside to make them healthy.
Jack LaLanne

We don't know all the answers. If we knew all the answers we'd be bored, wouldn't we? We keep looking, searching, trying to get more knowledge.
Jack LaLanne

We've never been busier. I lecture all over the world. I lecture to medical doctors, lawyers and colleges.
Jack LaLanne

What does age mean? Not being able to do the things you used to do. If I can get you doing things you haven't done for ten or fifteen years, isn't that exciting?
Jack LaLanne

What you need to do is get that tape measure out, and start measuring that gut. Then you start working out and you start eating properly till that gut gets down close to it was when you were in your 20's. Then you'll find out what your weight should be.
Jack LaLanne

When you are running a gym for the public, you've got to get variety and change the people's programs every 30 days. Then the people break the monotony of doing the same thing.
Jack LaLanne

Yes, exercise is the catalyst. That's what makes everything happen: your digestion, your elimination, your sex life, your skin, hair, everything about you depends on circulation. And how do you increase circulation?
Jack LaLanne

You can take them in a wheelchair and put them in a pool, so they can move their arms and legs. In a pool disabled people can do things that they can't normally do otherwise.
Jack LaLanne

You can't get rid of it with exercise alone. You can do the most vigorous exercise and only burn up 300 calories in an hour. If you've got fat on your body, the exercise firms and tones the muscles. But when you use that tape measure, what makes it bigger? It's the fat!
Jack LaLanne

You don't have to call it God or Jesus. That's religious humbug to a lot of people, but you've gotta believe that nature and spiritual things surround us. That is what put us here! I thank the universe for that every day of my life.
Jack LaLanne

You have to be pretty stupid to think there isn't a Supreme Being to put all this together. Do you think that man could ever make a heart that is indestructible? Do you think that man could make a calculator like your brain?
Jack LaLanne

You have to take care of your 640 muscles, and the number one thing is exercise. You can eat perfectly but if you don't exercise, you cannot get by.
Jack LaLanne

You should be the examples. Here you are influencing thousands and thousands of employees. You should be the first ones to work. You are the ones that should set the example and stand for what it is to be healthy and successful. People look up to you.
Jack LaLanne

You should do it against the clock. Say you are going to do 30 laps in 15 minutes. Then you try to do it each day a little faster. That is putting demands on the body, and that is how you build up. You keep up your energy instead of going downhill.
Jack LaLanne

No comments: