Is It Time Yet ????


Is it time to increase my workout ? How do you know when you are ready to go up a notch? If you are using a treadmill, bike, or elliptical here is one method that I have been using for myself.

Most of your better cardio equipment comes with a program called Heart Rate Control or HRC .. Prior to starting your program the Treadmill, Elliptical, Bike, etc. will ask you your age and the type of workout you want ( Cardio or Fat Burning ). If you are a beginner you would want to choose Fat burning.

The machine will calculate a target rate for you base on this information. Lets just say that your target heart rate is 135 beats per min. This means if you heart rate is below 135 the machine will increase the intensity by changing the speed, elevation, or resistance until your heart rate is up to 135. Just the opposite if your heart rate is to high it will decrease the intensity until you get back down to 135 beats per minute. Its like having a personal trainer standing next to you. As time goes on your program intensity will increase automatically without you even thinking about it. This method requires wearing a telemetry belt or holding on to heart rate sensors located on the bars for your entire workout. Not for me ..

I like the HRC idea but I want to have more control. This is how to do it. First you will need to find what your maximum heart rate should be ( 220 minus you age ) I am 59 so my Max HR is 161. If you are a beginner you should stay at 65% to 75% of this number which for me is around 125 beats per minute. Try to purchase or use a machine that has contact heart rate ( Hand Sensors ) . Go ahead select manual program and begin. After your warm up put your hands on the sensors and check your heart rate about every one to two minutes. If you are to low increase or if you are to high decrease your work load. Before you know it your program has increased without you even thinking about it.

I like comparing calories burned . As long as you going the same time each day ,say 20 mins. you will see that the calories burned each day will start to go up.

Give it a shot and let me know if it works for you.

Good Luck
Tony

No comments: